Fold a piece of paper in half 103 times, and its wider than the observable universe.
this is due to exponential growth; the increase in previous thickness is doubled each time you fold the piece of paper again. physically you could probably only fold a piece of paper about 7 - 8 times on your own.
Given a paper large enough—and enough energy—you can fold it as many times as you want. If you fold it 103 times, the thickness of your paper will be larger than the observable Universe; 93 billion light-years distance.
How can a 0.0039-inch-thick paper get to be as thick as the Universe?
The answer is simple: Exponential growth. The average paper thickness in 1/10th of a millimeter (0.0039 inches.) If you perfectly fold the paper in half, you will double its thickness.
Folding the paper in half a third time will get you about the thickness of a nail.
Seven folds will be about the thickness of a notebook of 128 pages.
10 folds and the paper will be about the width of a hand.
23 folds will get you to one kilometer—3,280 feet.
30 folds will get you to space. Your paper will be now 100 kilometers high.
Keep folding it. 42 folds will get you to the Moon. With 51 you will burn in the Sun.
Now fast forward to 81 folds and your paper will be 127,786 light-years, almost as thick as the Andromeda Galaxy, estimated at 141,000 light-years across.
90 folds will make your paper 130.8 million light-years across, bigger than the Virgo Supercluster, estimated at 110 million light-years. The Virgo Supercluster contains the Local Galactic Group—with Andromeda and our own Milky Way—and about 100 other galaxy groups.
And finally, at 103 folds, you will get outside of the observable Universe, which is estimated at 93 billion light-years in diameters.
- str4wberry-sw1ng likes this
- sollertia-c reblogged this from wabimayo
- sollertia-c likes this
- intrigue-dreams reblogged this from mysteriousquantumphysics
- things-to-post reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch
- koshbarrera likes this
- perplexing-thoughts reblogged this from rustyylife
- rustyylife reblogged this from livelifeskiing
- livelifeskiing reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch
- omnicronos reblogged this from wabimayo
- highpriestofsalem reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch
- underzyklon-b likes this
- b-ry927 reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch
- galaxywhiz likes this
- lame-pun reblogged this from fakejesusnambla
- lame-pun likes this
- robbiemcisaac reblogged this from october-nostalgia
- october-nostalgia reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch
- riverrandle likes this
- whoreadsbooksanymore likes this
- misplacedbets reblogged this from promathstination
- fakejesusnambla reblogged this from wabimayo
- mrarcane likes this
- mercvir likes this
- superaceofspade reblogged this from mysteriousquantumphysics
- captaindorklady likes this
- blushingvulcans reblogged this from astro-physics
- sourpatchphreak reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch
- carrotphreak likes this
- cogitocogitocogito reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch
- haydenisliberaltrash reblogged this from mysteriousquantumphysics
- haydenisliberaltrash likes this
- hazzacorkey likes this
- weavingthunderstorms reblogged this from joodster
- jetotito likes this
- rebelledanii likes this
- periodicals likes this
- a-trip-to-the-wordsmith likes this
- chokesm likes this
- bronson1387 likes this
- bronson1387 reblogged this from trigonometry-is-my-bitch and added:
- ding-d0ng-ding-dong likes this
- dryghosts reblogged this from wethekeegsta
- wethekeegsta reblogged this from powertothepiggies
- powertothepiggies reblogged this from the-selfie-ofdoriangray
- campbutch likes this
- dra-kena likes this
- the-selfie-ofdoriangray reblogged this from allofmymaths
- crescentfeather likes this
- grenzenzwischenwolken likes this